Father / Son Club
The Reston Father-Son Club is open to fathers and their sons in 1st through 7th grade. It teaches the boys to become men of character. They learn to overcome difficulties, to stick to a task until it is finished, to respect others, to aspire to higher ideals. For the fathers, the club provides tools to help them educate their sons to be this sort of man. Fathers are expected to attend the monthly meetings with their sons.
Meetings take place at Reston Study Center, (usually) on the 3rd Saturday of the month, from 3 to 5 p.m.
- September 29*
- October 27*
- November 17
- December 15
- January 19
- February 23*
- March 16
- April 20
- May 18
*not the 3rd Saturday
What are the goals for the boys?
- To begin thinking about what kind of men they will be when they grow up
- To learn about some fundamental virtues and how they can live them
- To engage in fun yet manly activities where they can develop their character
- To become friends with other boys who are developing their character
What are the goals for the fathers?
- To have a chance to be with their sons in a fun atmosphere
- To better understand and articulate the virtues and see how they can help their sons acquire them
- To have more occasions for the conversations they want to have with their sons about deeper subjects
Structure of Monthly Club Meetings
- 15-minute talk for the boys on some aspect of character; the fathers also attend
- 30-minute talk for the fathers on the virtues (general aspects as well as specific virtues)
- 30-minute activity for the boys of a creative or intellectual type like skits, trivia, treasure hunts, charades, or jeopardy
- 60 minute session devoted to a game, skill, or project involving both fathers and sons (e.g. survival skills, automotive repair, paper planes, sports, capture the flag, etc.)
- Concluding snack with general socializing of the fathers and sons
- A priest available for Confession throughout the afternoon
Join Reston Father Son Club
Fee: $50 for father and son, $25 for each additional son.
Checks can be made out to Reston Study Center.
Try it Out
To see if they are interested in the Club, fathers and their sons are welcome to attend one monthly meeting without joining. They should either come with a member of the club or, if they do not know any members, contact Eric Heil ahead of time.
For More Information
Contact club director, Eric Heil at (202) 365-2077 or email@example.com.